Wednesday, November 9, 2016

My studies this week focused on disciple leadership.  I was able to make connections between the things I was learning and other aspects of my life.  I was recently called to serve in the Relief Society Presidency at church.  I was initially terrified of this call, even though I have served as a Young Women president, and in numerous presidencies.  I think the difference is that I am now serving my peers, instead of youth and children.  

One thing I read this week has resonated with me, and given me a resource to help me become a better leader.  "A Message to Garcia," told the story of Colonel Andrew Rowan, who was given the task by then President William McKinley to deliver an important message to General Calixto Garcia. The point of the story was that when Colonel Rowan was given this task he didn't ask questions, he just acted and accomplished the task given to him.  The ability to execute a task without being told step by step instructions on how to do it is indeed a rare quality.  I have noticed, especially in my church callings, that not all actions have a guidebook attached to them.   Our Heavenly Father has given us the gift of reasoning and the gifts and talents to accomplish difficult things.  I will use those talents to start where I am so that I can act without having to be instructed in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment