Friday, December 2, 2016

Are We Not All Beggars?

I really loved the theme of service and entrepreneurship that was in this weeks lesson.  Elder Gay's talk was excellent as he taught of the Lord's expectations of us as we seek to serve and rescue others.
One thing he said was that we need to have the heart to rescue others before business.  If we have this mindset, then it is much easier to use our means to seek opportunities to serve.  He also said that, "Business is about service and about rescue."  When this is part of a company mindset then it is not just about making a profit, it is also about creating an environment where others can prosper.

I was able to read again the talk by Elder Holland, "Are We Not All Beggars?"  He shared the story of  Mary anointing Jesus's head before he was crucified with an expensive ointment.  Judas Iscariot made her feel bad because of the expense, but Jesus told him, "She hath done what she could."  I think that is the message that I needed at this time in my life.  I know for myself that I feel guilty when I don't serve as much as I think I should.  I believe that we are expected to do what we can to alleviate the suffering of our fellowman, but that might not need to be in extravagant and grand gestures.  Sometimes it can be a smile, or a phone call, but if we are in tune with the spirit we will know in what way we can be of service.

No comments:

Post a Comment