Friday, October 21, 2016

I was able to continue my reading of Mastery this week.  I am learning that mastery of anything is not easy, and the journey to mastery is never really over.  I am learning that it takes more than self-discipline and determination to become a master.  George Leonard lists the following 5 keys on the journey to mastery.  Key 1: Instruction, Key 2: Practice, Key 3: Surrender, Key 4: Intentionality and Key 5: The Edge.  He teaches that the key to mastery is recognizing that the journey to mastering anything is never really over.

I was also able to read the talk from N. Eldon Tanner, "Success Is Gauged by Self-Mastery."  I loved the instruction given in this talk.  Elder Tanner taught that we must master ourselves first in order to find success.  He quoted DaVinci when he said, "You will never have a greater of lesser dominion than that over yourself....'the height of a man's success is gauged by his self-master; the depth of his failure by his self-abandonment...and this law is the expression of eternal justice.  He who cannot establish dominion over himself will have no dominion over others."  I was struck by the truth of this statement and how it relates to all aspects of my life.  The greatest thing we will master in this life is the mastery of ourself.  I'm grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ, and for His Atonement so I can continue to try to become more like Him and overcome the natural man.

No comments:

Post a Comment